Joining Yarn

I’ve been working on a pair of socks, knit in this nice, dark grey colour. The yarn is Regia 4 Color, made by Schachenmayr nomotta. (It’s in the Ravelry database) It looks like this:

Regia grey 1

I’ve finished sock #1, and am now almost through the toe section of sock #2. This is a cuff-down sock, based on the Basic Sock Recipe from Stephanie Pearl-McPhee’s book Knitting Rules.

black-and-grey-socks-6

The fun thing in this second sock is this – I used spit splicing for the first time ever. The first ball of yarn lasted me through the first sock, and around the heel turn of the second one. When I got to where I needed to join the new yarn, I decided to try this great technique. In spite of how gross it sounds, it is a method of joining wool (or other feltable) yarn ends together without a knot.

I won’t go into detail here about how to do it. I just googled “spit splice,” and followed the instructions I found on a knitting blog. The briefest of brief explanations is that you untwist the ends of both yarns to be joined, tear out half of the strands in each, overlap the ends, wet them a bit, and rub them together vigorously enough to generate heat. You are essentially felting them together to produce a remarkably strong join that becomes virtually invisible. Betcha can’t find it.

black-and-grey-socks-3

Here’s the inside view:

black-and-grey-socks-4

See – no knots, nothing to scratch or chafe. Just smooth, continuous knitting.

I was a little concerned that this wouldn’t work, because this sock yarn is only 75% wool (the other 25% being polyamide, or nylon) and the wool is washable and non-felting, which means it has been treated to not shrink. But it still felted and made a strong join that I couldn’t pull apart.

Where has this technique been all my life?

Advertisements

2 thoughts on “Joining Yarn

  1. Pingback: Socks and Blocks « Completely Blocked

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s