I wrote about making fabric collage inchies and an inchie quilt in an earlier post. Both of them were a lot of fun to make. After the first quilt was finished I still had many of the collage inchies left, so I decided to make a second quilt. And where the first quilt was done in a loose style, and with raw edges, I took a very different design path with the second one.
I have quite a lot that I could write about making this little quilt (its finished size is 8 inches by 8 inches), but if I did that in one post it would be a very, very long one. So I’ve decided to split it up into two posts. This one is about the design of the quilt, and the second will be about some of the construction methods.
In order to make a background for the inchies, I thought I’d make a small pieced quilt and appliqué them on. The first decision was the fabric. I settled on these two: a purple and a yellow.
The background is pieced. The small purple strips are 1/8th of an inch wide, and the width of the yellow strips was calculated to follow the ratio of 1:2:3 (as in the Fibonacci sequence) with the third being wide enough to provide a 1/4 inch margin around the inchies. This gave widths of 1/2 inch, 1 inch and 1 1/2 inches respectively. The yellow square in the bottom right corner also gives 1/4 inches of margin around each inchie. The purple border was sized to bring the quilt up to 8 inches by 8 inches.
I auditioned the placement of the inchies on the background. The first try looked far too busy and cluttered.
The second try was better, but the purple border felt a little bare.
The third try felt right to me – a balance between the collage inchies and open space.
To keep with the formal look of this quilt I finished the edges of the inchies with a narrow satin stitch. I attached the inchies to the background by fusing them on with small pieces of Mistyfuse. Next, I decided to add some beads. I tried out some options by laying the beads on the quilt top. My first audition of beads was, once again, too busy and cluttered.
I thought it looked much better with fewer beads. There’s also something visually appealing about having elements appear in odd numbers. I stitched the beads on before I did the quilting, because I didn’t want to see the bead thread on the back of the quilt.
Next up was the quilting. I stitched a simple graphic pattern in the purple border, and stitched around each of the yellow areas close to the seam lines. Then I trimmed the quilt to size, and finished the edges off with a satin stitch edging.
And here is the finished quilt. I’m quite happy with the way it turned out. It’s so cheery looking.
This is the back. I used purple thread in the bobbin for all of the quilting and satin stitch edging to create an interesting pattern on the back.
This was a fun little project, and I learned a lot about the design process along the way. It was interesting to do something so very different from the first inchie quilt using the same fabric collage inchies. Just for fun, here are the two finished quilts side by side:
The post about the fabric collage and first inchie quilt is here: Fabric Collage and Inchie Quilts
Update Nov. 13, 2011: The post about some of the techniques used in making the small quilt can be found here: Narrow Strip Piecing & Inchie Edging