I’m still working on the Crooked Rail Fence quilts, getting them ready for quilting. Right now I’m busy cleaning up the back of the first one, before I sandwich the layers and baste them together. I’m afraid that the slightly rough handling of the strips when I was mixing them up for random piecing has created a lot of loose threads and fraying. There are too many strips of dark and light next to each other to skip this step, so I am carefully trimming away all of those loose bits, while trying not to be too perfectionist about it.
In the meantime, I finished knitting my version of the Summer Flies shawl, from the pattern by Donna Griffin. I’m calling it Fall Flies for the rusty autumn colours of the yarn. I started knitting this on the train to Rhinebeck in October of last year, and worked on it through the following months, setting it aside now and then for some Christmas knitting. I modified it quite a bit, not only adding more repeats of the patterning, but increasing the depth of each pattern section as I went along. I also used a fingering weight yarn instead of a worsted weight, and a smaller needle to create a more dense fabric.
Here is the finished shawl before blocking.
And here it is while blocking. I just love how lace opens up when it’s blocked.
And here is the finished shawl:
I’m very happy with how it turned out.
Pattern: Summer Flies, by Donna Griffin (ravelry link)
Yarn: Gedifra Fashion Trend Sportivo in colour 5721 (no longer being made, but it’s a fingering weight sock yarn with a subtle self-striping variegation)
Needle size: 4.0 mm
Modifications: I added more rows of eyelets and butterflies, and more rows to the openwork section at the bottom.
Finished size: wingspan 109 cm (43”), depth 51 cm (20”)